Can You Play Electronic Drums Through an Amp?
- Using headphones, you can play the electronic drums whenever you want, a privilege for any drummer. With the optional drum kits packaged with most sets, experimentation with rhythm and sound is at your disposal at the touch of a button.
- All electronic drum sets have at least one output jack and many have the capability of 1/4-inch guitar cable output. Either one of these will transmit the sound from the drum kit to an amplifier.
- You can play electronic drums through any amplifier with a guitar or headphone input. Besides the ability to control and equalize the sound from the drum set's electronics, you can now do it through the amplifier.
- If your drum set has a 1/4 inch (guitar) output and the amplifier has a 1/4 inch input, all you need is a guitar cable to connect the two. If both are a headphone jack you'll need a cable with an 1/8 inch jack on each end.
- In order to connect an electric drum kit with headphone-only output to an amplifier with a guitar input, you'll need a 1/4-inch to 1/8-inch TRS cable adapter. This will convert one end of a guitar cord into a headphone-size cord, allowing the other end to be plugged into the guitar input.