What Are the Benefits of Classroom Management?
- Keep your class in running order with classroom management.pencils image by AGphotographer from Fotolia.com
By successfully managing your classroom, you can increase student success and create a productive and cooperative learning environment. Effective behavior management plans allow students to get the most out of their time spent in school and ensure that you maintain your sanity. While many fail to recognize it, learning to behave can be just as important as learning the academic lessons taught in school.
- If a teacher has control of her classroom, it is less likely that a fight will break out or violence will occur. By establishing clear and consistent standards of behavior teachers can ensure that their classes are organized and productive, and that students do not have the opportunity to engage in fights or inflict harm on another student. Additionally, by punishing students who name call or are disrespectful to others, teachers reduce the likelihood that verbal conflicts will escalate and become physical.
Positive Class Environment Building
- Students work more productively, and share more openly, when there is a positive classroom environment. Through behavior management, teachers can create an atmosphere of mutual respect in which all classroom participants feel safe to share their options without risk of censure. Without classroom management, students will likely feel that they are not free to speak their mind or participate, as their peers may make them feel unwelcome or unworthy.
More Teaching Time
- Time spent dealing with continuous behavioral interruptions is time taken away from teaching. By setting up clear behavior expectations and consequences at the beginning of the year, teachers can create a fluid and productive class in which time is spent engaging in educational activities, not responding to student misbehaviors.
- Through effective classroom management, teachers can build healthy and mutually respectful relationships with their students, and allow students to build these positive relationships with their peers. Effective classroom management ensures that students interact appropriately, allowing for them to create and strengthen relationships.
Preparation for Workforce
- Many students eagerly look forward to adulthood, thinking that they will be free of the restrictive rules and guidelines that they follow in school daily. However, as any adult knows, succeeding in the adult world is all about following rules. To be a productive citizen, you must follow laws, abide by workplace restrictions and follow community regulations. Classroom rules help prepare students to successfully follow the rules that will dictate their actions later in life.